Intent Playbook Overview
Account Intent data surfaces accounts that are researching topics related to an industry, category, or product dynamically and is based on content consumption across the B2B Web (primarily 3rd party sites). The Intent Targeting Playbook offers customers a pre-packaged way to efficiently activate upon these data signals by serving ads across the web to those accounts surging with intent (as defined by the intent topics selected in your Account Intent dashboard).
Key Benefits of RollWorks’ Intent Targeting Playbooks:
- Uncover & engage accounts in early buying cycles
- Quickly activate more targeted and effective account engagement
- Help optimize your budget for improved ABM program ROI
- Drive better marketing and sales alignment
Intent Targeting Playbooks differ from Account Targeting Playbooks as they are not intended to target every single account on your Target Account List, but only the ones that are showing your desired level of intent for the designated time period.
How do Intent Playbooks work?
- Start by selecting an Account List to target. Only accounts surging with Intent from your Account List will dynamically be targeted.
- Then, select the Target Persona criteria (Job Function and/or Seniority) for whom you specifically want to reach within those accounts surging with intent.
- Next, select the Ads that you would like to utilize for engaging these users. There are 2 parts to every Playbook: 1) Unaware 2) Aware. You'll be able to choose Ads for each campaign in the setup flow based on their behavior with your website.
- RollWorks will update the account intent surge data every week as new intent data is synced into RollWorks.
Who is eligible to access Intent Playbooks?
The Intent Playbook is available to customers on any of our paid subscription packages: Starter, Standard, Professional, or Ultimate.
Starter package gives you access to one Intent Playbook. Standard, Professional and Ultimate packages give you unlimited Intent Playbooks.
To find out what subscription package you have, log in to the RollWorks platform and visit the Plan & Usage page under Settings.
How to launch an Intent Playbook?
To use the Intent Playbook you must first complete the following steps in the RollWorks Platform:
- Create a Target Account List
- Select one or more Intent Topics in the RollWorks Account Intent page
- Activate your Pixel
- Create one or more Form Fill conversion audiences
- Create one or more Ads for web
Now you are ready to create your new Intent Playbook.
- Navigate to the Engage → Playbooks → Launch Your First Playbook → Intent Targeting → Get Started
Select a Target Account List that you want to serve ads against.
- For Starter Package - Your Intent Playbook will target your full Target Account List. You will not be able to select an Account Group.
- For Standard, Professional, and Ultimate Packages - You will be able able to select an Account Group within your Target Account List
- Customize your Intent Filtering to specify the accounts you will target based on your package:
For Starter Package - Intent Filtering for Starter Subscription Package is limited to the following default settings and cannot be customized:
- Intent Level: “Medium to Very High”
- Intent Topics: All existing Intent Topics will be used
- Intent Signal Recency: "Last 90 days"
For Standard, Professional, and Ultimate - Intent Filtering is available for the following criteria:
Select Intent Level: “Medium to Very High", “High to Very High” or “Very High Only”
Select a subset of Intent Topics that will be used
- Select Intent Signal Recency: “Last 7 days”, “Last 30 days” or “Last 90 days"
- For Starter Package - Intent Filtering for Starter Subscription Package is limited to the following default settings and cannot be customized:
- Select General Exclusions - Decide if the customers you defined previously in General Exclusions should be targeted or not in this Playbook. We will automatically exclude your competitors and coworkers if you have them set up within your General Exclusion Settings.
Layer Buyer Persona - Select one or more attributes to define the people that you want to target.
- Country - required
- Job Function
Select Ads for both parts of the Playbook Playbook by clicking "Set Up". You will select which Ads you want to use in 1. Unaware and 2. Aware.
Tip! See this Ad Creative Best Practice guide to learn how to select creative content that matches your customers stage in the marketing funnel.
Select Budget & Schedule:
- Select Ongoing for campaigns that will run indefinitely or Fixed Dates if you want to set a specific end date
- Select Start Date
- Select Monthly Budget
- Select Day Parting to show ads 24/7, pause on weekends or customize.
- You can customize the amount of budget you wish to spend for the remainder of the month or go with our automatically suggested prorated amount.
- Review ‘Reach Forecast’ within the ‘Budget & Schedule’ screen to compare your budget vs the recommended budget for the time frame selected. Aligning closely with the budget recommendation will maximize the likelihood of reaching your audience with a sufficient frequency for driving brand awareness and engagement.
Review and Launch
- Review your Playbook setup
- Enter a name for your Playbook
- Once Playbook setup is confirmed, select ‘Launch’, and your playbook will begin delivering impressions on the specified Start Date
Intent Playbook Best Practices, Considerations and Use Cases
- An Intent Targeting Playbook is one way you can activate an Account-Based strategy with limited resources, as well as reach users earlier on in their buying process based on 3rd party research they are consuming.
- If your budget is not sufficient, limit it to only targeting the highest surging accounts and/or accounts surging more recently.
- If your audience size is too small, try broadening your Intent Filtering, Buyer Persona and/or include additional accounts in your Target Account List.
- If you want to use different messaging for specific Intent Topics, use a new Intent Playbook for each creative and topic alignment.
- Intent Playbook use cases:
- Prospecting: Prioritize accounts for top of funnel digital advertising and/or prioritize accounts for Sales outreach
- Content Personalization: Customize messaging for intent-topic-based sub-segments
- Retention: Identify at-risk customers
- Learn more about Intent here.
Intent Playbook FAQ
How can I find how many intent topics I have available and select them?
To find out how many Intent topics are available under your RollWorks package, log in to your RollWorks account and visit the Account Intent page under Identify > Target Account.
What types of creatives are supported in Playbooks?
Playbooks support all standard display, video, HTML5, and native ad units.
Can I target multiple Target Account Lists within a single Playbook?
No, you can only target one Target Account List and one Account Group within a single Playbook.
Can I make changes to a Playbook once it is live?
Yes, the following actions are available after launch: Edit, Pause, Clone, and Delete.
Why is my Target Account List greyed out during the Intent Playbook setup?
If you are using Account Intent as an input for a Target Account List, you will not be able to launch an Intent Playbook targeting this list. Instead, try launching an Account Targeting Playbook (see instructions here for setting up an Account Targeting Playbook).
Can I run Intent Playbooks at the same time as Account Targeting Playbooks?
Yes, you can run Intent Playbooks and Account Targeting Playbooks simultaneously. When the same Account list is targeted in an Intent Playbook and an Account Targeting Playbooks, the Accounts will only be targeted within the Intent Playbook until the account stops surging with Intent.
Note: Due to the time it takes for RollWorks's infrastructure to update many systems it is still possible to serve some impressions to an account in both Playbooks as the audiences get updated to be targeted or excluded as the account surges in intent.
What is the list of Intent Topics available?
An up-to-date list of the Intent Topics in the Bombora taxonomy can be found here.