What are HTML5 Ads
HTML5 ads, also known as rich media ads, include advanced features like animations or other elements that encourage viewers to interact and engage with content. These ads are formatted using HTML5 language, which allows developers to add animations directly into the source code of a page.
What sizes are supported for HTML5 Ads
Mobile ad sizes
Please know that the possibility of showing a certain ad size on mobile depends on the publisher. Some publishers may allow certain sizes on mobile and others don't. The most common mobile ad sizes are 320x50, and 300x250.
HTML5 Ads Specifications
|Ad Copy Specs
|Supported File Types
|Maximum File Size
Use the <!DOCTYPE html>, <html>, and <body> tags
Use the <meta> tags to identify the size of the ad:
<meta name="ad.size" content= "width=300, height=250">
Declare a clickTag variable. ClickTag is a click-through URL: a shortcut to set the click-through URL in the platform.
// Change the value of this string to your URL
var clickTag = "https://www.adroll.com";
This must be passed as a parameter to any window.open event in the ad code.
<div id="clickArea" style="width: 300px; height: 250px" onclick="window.open(clickTag ,'_blank');">
Create HTML5 ads
We recommend working with a graphic designer who can satisfy the technical requirements in this article to create your HTML5 ads. Once you have created your HTML5 ad we recommend using this validator tool to ensure the asset is good to go.
If you have a contract with RollWorks our team can assemble HTML5 ads for you after you provide the required assets, the amount of ad assembly requests you can submit depends on your contract. Click here to learn the type of creative services available by package, including HTML5 ad assembly.
Upload HTML5 ads to RollWorks
You cannot upload HTML5 ads to the RollWorks platform directly. Please contact RollWorks Customer Support via chat or email and we will upload the ads on your behalf.
Creative Best Practices
- Clear Message: Ensure the message is concise, clear, and tailored to the desired audience. Avoid or minimize using jargon or acronyms where possible.
- Minimal Text: Keep text minimal and focused, delivering the key message efficiently. Maximum character count of 60-70 is recommended.
- Professional Design: Maintain a professional appearance with clean design elements and consistent corporate branding.
- Brand Visibility: Maintain consistent branding throughout the ad for brand recognition.
- Alignment with Landing Page: Ensure the creative messaging and branding aligns with the landing page it directs users to, providing a seamless experience.
- Relevant Imagery: Use high-quality images or graphics relevant to the B2B industry or target audience. Select images with a center focus to allow cropping for different ad sizes.
- Strong Call-to-Action (CTA): Include a clear and compelling CTA that prompts users to take action.
- Compliance with Ad Standards: Adhere to industry standards and guidelines for ad sizes, formats, and file types outlined in this article.
- Subtle Animations: Use animations sparingly and strategically to draw attention to key elements without overwhelming the viewer (simple “build-in” animations where elements slide into place are commonly effective). Avoid animations that are purely decorative and add no value.
- Conservative Timing: Be mindful of animation timing, ensuring that animated elements are on screen long enough for viewers to digest the information but not so long that they become impatient or lose interest.