What is the Pixel
In this article, you’ll learn how to best set up the Pixel to safely collect your visitors’ email addresses, an important piece of data that improves the intelligence you’ll receive from RollWorks, for example, the Granular Conversion Report or Sales Insights Spiking Contacts.
Benefits of using the Pixel for email collection
There’s a distinct and valuable reason to use the Pixel for email capture, especially in combination with other methods you may have running, such as Marketo or HubSpot forms from other providers. Using the Pixel for email collection improves capture coverage for submitted email addresses that other methods can miss. Forms and pages across your website may change, while the Pixel dynamically adapts and captures addresses from new forms and pages without any additional development effort on your part.
Ensure you Opt-in for Email Collection & Cross-Device Services
Email addresses collected from your form fields will be added to our cross-device graph only if you enable these settings in your RollWorks account by navigating to Settings > Data Collection > Opt-Ins and selecting both:
☑️ Enable email Collection from your Website
☑️ Enable Cross-Device Services
Opting-in will increase the size and reach of the Cross-Device graph, resulting in wider audience reach for your future campaigns. Click here to learn more about how we collect email data and how to ensure you have opted in.
Enable email address collection through the Pixel
- Place the Pixel on your website. You’ll need access to the code of your website and this can be placed in the header or activated through Google Tag Manager. Learn how to here.
- Accept the NextRoll Terms of Service. You’ll review and accept the NextRoll Terms of Service the first time you log in to RollWorks.
Troubleshooting: I’m not seeing all emails captured
If you’ve followed the steps outlined above, but RollWorks features that highlight collected emails (for example, the Granular Conversion Report or Sales Insights Spiking Contacts) don’t show all expected email addresses, it’s probably because your forms do not have a “form submit event”. This is a specific event that is fired when a form is submitted. NextRoll collects emails when the customer clicks a submit button. There are many different form configurations that exist. It is important that your team provides RollWorks with a form submission event so that you can receive all the benefits outlined above. You can use Pixel Assistant to help you correctly set up email collection by following the steps below.
Use Pixel Assistant to optimize email collection
You can use Pixel Assistant to set up email collection on every form of your website. Go through the below steps to ensure that email collection has been set up correctly for every form to maximize your email address capture.
Follow the instructions below to use Pixel Assistant to opt-in email and any other form fields for collection on every form on your website by launching pixel assistant, navigating to the page containing a form, and following the below steps. Please note, that password and payment detail forms will not be able to be opted into form field collection.
1. Log in to RollWorks, navigate to ‘Audiences > Website Audiences, and click ‘Launch Pixel Assistant’. Clicking launch will open your website in a new browser tab with Pixel Assistant showing up as a tool on the top of your page.
2. Click the ‘Authorize forms for Data Collection’ tab in Pixel Assistant and navigate to a page in your website containing an email submission form.
3. Click the ‘Authorize’ button
4. Click on the email form field you would like to opt-in for collection
5. Select ‘Email’ from the ‘Select an Option’ dropdown
6. Select and identify consent values that apply to this form
7. Navigate to the part of your form where the ‘Submit’ button is displayed and click on the button
8. Click ‘Yes’ if you have selected the correct ‘Send’ button
9. A success message will appear letting you know you have successfully defined your submit event
Alternative methods to optimize email collection
If you don’t want to use the Pixel Assistant to optimize email collection, you can ask your dev team to help add the below code to accurately collect site visitor emails so that you can receive all the benefits outlined above. There are two ways to solve this, so you can still use the Pixel to collect email addresses that your site visitors submit and agree can be used for marketing purposes under Applicable Law.
Work with your team or website platform provider to ensure that all forms on your site have a “form submit event”.
1. Locate the header code for your site and find the NextRollPixel
3. Ensure that your website is set up to replace the firstname.lastname@example.org in the above snippet with the website visitor’s actual email address. Here is an example of one way you can set this script up to replace email@example.com with the website visitor's actual address:
var visitorEmail = GetEmail();
This example assumes that GetEmail(); is a real function you have that dynamically fills the visitorEmail variable with that visitor's email.