What is the Google Analytics Integration
Google Analytics (GA) is a tool that helps you identify trends and patterns in how visitors engage with your website. GA features include data collection, analysis, monitoring, visualization, reporting, and integration with other applications. The Google Analytics integration with RollWorks enables you to pass the following firmographic attributes from the RollWorks platform to Google Analytics:
- Company Domain
- Company Name
- Company Industry
- Company Size
- Company Revenue
Who can access
In order to send RollWorks data to Google Analytics (GA) you will need access to the RollWorks Site Traffic Revealer. This feature is included for all customers with a RollWorks package: Starter, Standard, Professional, and Ultimate at no cost.
Connecting GA to RollWorks
There are three important steps that you must ensure are completed before you start to configure the Google Analytics (GA) integration:
- Complete the installation of the RollWorks Pixel.
- Find your Google Analytics Tracking ID.
Choose one of the following methods to pass RollWorks data to Google Analytics:
- Send RollWorks data directly to Google Analytics: Select this if you would like to write the data directly to Google Analytics, but do not want to use the data for other applications. Click here to continue with this option.
- Send RollWorks data to Google Analytics with Google Tag Manager: Select this if you use Google Tag Manager and would like to send RollWorks data both to Google Analytics and to other applications such as Hushly, Uberflip, or Reactful. Click here to continue with this option.
Choosing the best option for you
We recommend that you speak to your Web Analytics team to advise which method is best for your company.
What are the implications of sending the data directly to Google Analytics (GA) vs to Google Tag Manager (GTM)?
There are no data implications with either option. Sending RollWorks data to Google Analytics with GTM will allow more flexibility in customization, for example, if you want to route the data to other places in the future.
Which tag managers are supported?
Google Tag Manager (GTM) is the one tag manager currently supported for this integration. Other solutions such as Adobe Dynamic Tag Management (DTM), Tealium, Ensighten, etc. are not supported at this time.
Does the integration work with the free version of Google Analytics?
Yes, the free version of Google Analytics provides up to 20 custom dimensions. You'll just need 5 free custom dimensions available for use.
Does the solution require any additional code snippets or does it use the RollWorks Pixel?
The solution uses the RollWorks pixel. After you enable the Site Traffic Revealer we will automatically push a small update to your pixel behind the scenes to make some of the additional variables available, but that will not require any work on your side.
Can we add the variables to the Google Tag Manager (GTM) data layer?
Yes, passing variables to the GTM data layer is the recommended mechanism of integration when using GTM.
What are some potential reasons why no data would be returned for a website visitor?
- We may not be able to match the visitor cookie in our database
- The visitor cookies are not enabled
- You may not have opted into tracking on the website, for example depending on the GDPR banner you are using to collect visitor data.
- The visitor ad blocker may be enabled.