What is the RollWorks Pixel
Google Tag Manager (GTM) is a container for tags (scripts). Google Tag Manager makes it easy to add and manage multiple scripts like the RollWorks Pixel to your website.
Alternatively, the Pixel can be activated by placing it on your website header. Go to this Website Pixel Activation Guide if you are going to activate your Pixel using this method.
If your company has multiple websites, you should:
- Create an additional advertiser profile for each website. RollWorks will provide you with an individual Pixel code for each of your 'Advertiser Profiles'.
- Assign an additional GTM account for each website. An 'Account' in GTM is the equivalent of an 'Advertiser Profile' in RollWorks.
Activate the RollWorks Pixel
Watch this 8-minute video to learn what is the pixel and how to install it through GTM (Google Tag Manager, or continue reading for step-by-step instructions.
Step 1. Find and copy your Pixel code
To find your Pixel code log in to the RollWorks platform:
- On the left side navigation bar go to Audiences > Website Audience.
- A Pixel Setup Required red banner will appear at the top, click Setup Pixel.
- If you haven't yet, select a cookie consent banner and click 'Save'
- If the red banner does not appear go to Audiences > Website Audience > View Pixel.
- Click Copy to retrieve your unique Pixel code
- Once you find and copy your Pixel the next step is to add it to your website.
Step 2. Sign up for a Google Tag Manager account
- If you don't already have a GTM account, sign up here
- Once you sign up you will be prompted to add an account
- Accept Google’s terms and conditions
If you need more help, use Google Tag Manager (GTM) Quick Start Guide.
Step 3. Add the Pixel to Google Tag Manager
We recommend placing the RollWorks Pixel across all pages of your website through a single GTM tag that triggers on all pages.
- Navigate to Google Tag Manager > Workspace >Default Workspace.
- Click Add a new tag.
- In the tag configuration, go to Choose tag type.
- Search AdRoll.
- Select AdRoll SmartPixel.
- Configure your tag using the Advertisable ID and Pixel ID found on your RollWorks Pixel. Enter the corresponding 22-character alphanumeric code into the appropriate fields in your GTM tag:
- adroll_adv_id = 'Advertisable ID'
- adroll_pix_id = 'Pixel ID'
- Leave Conversion Value and Segment Name blank.
- Click Continue.
Step 4. Ensure that your tag will fire on all pages
Go to Trigger Configuration and select:
- Trigger Type = Page View - DOM Ready.
- Ensure this trigger fires on All DOM Ready Events as well.
If you don't find this trigger type, then save the Pixel tag and Create a new trigger:
- Go to Triggers > New.
- Select DOM Ready in Page View as a trigger type.
- Enter a name for the trigger All Page View - DOM Ready Events.
- Click Save.
- Go back to where you left off in Tags and select your new trigger All Page View - DOM Ready Events.
- Click Create Tag to complete the setup.
- If no further changes are needed, be sure to Publish the container.
- Go to Trigger Configuration and select:
If you need to edit your tag in the future, you can pull it up by going to the Tags section of your GTM account.
Enhanced Conversion Tracking with GTM
Go to this Help Center article to learn how to set up enhanced conversion tracking and define custom parameters in Google Tag Manager.
Event-Based Audiences in GTM
Most audiences can be tracked based on the various URLs on your website using URL-based audiences. However, there are some cases where you want to track audiences that perform a certain action such as the OnClick event of a button or submitting a form. To track this audience you'll need to create an Event-based audience in the RollWorks platform.
Once you have completed the steps in this guide to create the Event-based audience in RollWorks, follow the steps below to tie the audience in RollWorks to the OnClick event on your website:
- In your GTM account, go to Workspace > Default Workspace >Add a New Tag.
- In the tag configuration, go to Choose tag type > Custom HTML.
- Copy the event snippet code for your Event-based audience from the RollWorks platform as outlined here
- Paste the snippet code in the GTM Custom HTML tag
- Make sure the code is within the <script> tags
- Choose an existing trigger for the relevant button's OnClick function or form of success if it exists.
- If the button trigger does not exist, create a new trigger through these instructions and select your newly created trigger
- Enter a name for the tag, save the tag, and repeat the process for each additional Event-based audience created in the RollWorks platform
- Publish the Workspace.