Google Tag Manager (GTM) is a container for tags (scripts). GTM makes it easy to add and manage multiple scripts, such as your RollWorks Pixel.
- If you don't already have a GTM account, sign up here.
- Once registered, you’ll be prompted to add an account. If you manage multiple websites, assign an account to each website. An Account in GTM is the equivalent of an Advertiser Profile in RollWorks.
- Accept Google’s terms and conditions.
- Follow the instructions you see to add the code to your site. If you need more help, use GTM's Quick Start Guide.
Add Your RollWorks Pixel to Google Tag Manager
We recommend placing the RollWorks Pixel across all pages of your website through a single GTM tag that triggers on all pages.
- Navigate to Google Tag Manager > Workspace > Default Workspace.
- Click Add a new tag.
- In the tag configuration, go to Choose tag type.
- Search for AdRoll.
- Select AdRoll SmartPixel. (Note: AdRoll is the sister company to RollWorks under our parent company, NextRoll, and leverages the same pixel technology for the RollWorks advertising solution).
- Configure your tag. The information that you need to add to the Advertisable ID and Pixel ID fields can be found on your RollWorks Pixel.
- To pull up your RollWorks Pixel, navigate to RollWorks > Identify > Ad Audiences > Site Audiences > RollWorks Pixel > View Pixel.
- adroll_adv_id = Advertisable ID and adroll_pix_id = Pixel ID. Enter the corresponding 22-character alphanumeric code into the appropriate fields in your GTM tag. Leave Conversion Value and Segment Name blank.
- Click Continue.
- Specify your tag to fire on All Pages. In Trigger configuration, select a trigger that fires on All DOM Ready Events with Page View - DOM Ready trigger type. If you don't find this trigger type, then save the AdRoll Pixel tag and create a new trigger:
- Go to Triggers > New.
- Select DOM Ready in Page View as a trigger type.
- Enter a name for the trigger All Page View - DOM Ready Events
- Go back to where you left off in Tags and select your new trigger.
- Click Create Tag to complete setup. If you need to edit your tag in the future, you can pull it up by going to the Tags section of your GTM.
Enhanced Conversion Tracking
Stored Revenue Data
If you're unsure where on your conversion page your revenue data is stored, your best option is to consult with your technical team.
DOM Elements are HTML tags within the page. These include everything from images (<img>), paragraphs (<p>), various inputs (<input>).
Event-Based Audience in Google Tag Manager
Most audiences can be tracked based on the various URLs on your website. However, there are some cases where you want to track audiences that perform a certain action such as the OnClick of a button or submitting a form. To track this audience you'll need to create an event-based audience within your RollWorks dashboard.
Once the audience is created, use the steps below to tie the audience to the OnClick event on your website.
- In your GTM account, go to Workspace > Default Workspace > Add a New Tag.
- In the tag configuration, go to Choose tag type > Custom HTML.
- Copy the event snippet for your audience from the RollWorks dashboard as outlined here.
- Paste the snippet in the GTM Custom HTML tag, and make sure the code is within <script> tags.
- Choose an existing trigger for the relevant button's OnClick function or form of success if it exists.
- If the button trigger does not exist, create a new trigger through these instructions and select your newly created trigger.
- Enter a name for the tag, save the tag and repeat the process for all other event-based audiences.
- Publish the workspace.