Google is replacing Universal Analytics with GA4 in July 2023 (See Google documentation). To maintain GA reporting continuity with RollWorks data, set up the GA4 before July 2023.
Before you start
Make sure to complete the installation of the RollWorks Pixel before you start to configure the Google Analytics 4 (GA4) integration.
The following are the steps to complete the GA4 integration by sending RollWorks data to GA4 with GTM:
- Configure the Site Traffic Revealer in RollWorks. Jump to this section.
- Create Custom Dimensions in GA4. Jump to this section.
- Create Custom Variables in GTM. Jump to this section.
- Create a RollWorks Personalization Trigger. Jump to this section.
- Create a RollWorks Personalization GA4 Event Tag. Jump to this section.
Step 1: Configure the Site Traffic Revealer in RollWorks
- Log in to RollWorks and navigate to Settings.
- Under integrations click Site Traffic Revealer.
- Select Send with Google Tag Manager.
Step 2: Create Custom dimensions in GA4
To start, create the first custom dimension called RollWorks Company Domain:
- Sign in to Google Analytics (GA4)
- Click Admin on the bottom-left.
- In the Property column, click Custom definitions > Custom dimensions.
- Click Create custom dimensions:
- Add a Dimension name = RollWorks Company Domain
- Select Scope = Event
- Add an Event parameter = rw_company_domain
- Click Create and you will complete the creation of the first Custom Dimension called RollWorks Company Domain.
Repeat the same process outlined in this step for the remaining using the reference table below:
|Custom Dimension Name||Scope||Event Parameter|
|RollWorks Company Domain||Event||rw_company_domain|
|RollWorks Company Name||Event||rw_company_name|
|RollWorks Company Industry||Event||rw_company_industry|
|RollWorks Company Revenue||Event||rw_company_revenue|
|RollWorks Company Size||Event||rw_company_size|
Step 3: Create Custom Variables in GTM
Custom Variables are like default variables in your Google Tag Manager account, except you create them yourself. You can use them to collect and analyze data that Analytics doesn't automatically track. To learn more custom variables in Google Tag Manager go to their Help Center guide.
In this step we will walk you through creating the following 5 custom variables:
- RollWorks Company Domain
- RollWorks Company Name
- RollWorks Company Industry
- RollWorks Company Revenue
- RollWorks Company Size
To start, create the first custom variable called RollWorks Company Domain:
- Sign in to your Google Tag Manager (GTM) account.
- In the GTM Console click Variables > New to set up your Custom Variables.
- Under Variable Configuration create a custom variable as follows:
- Variable Type = Data Layer Variable
- Variable Name = RollWorks Company Domain
- Data Layer Variable Name = rwCompanyDomain
- Click Save.
Repeat the same process outlined in this step for the remaining 4 variables using the Variable Name - to - Data Layer Variable Name mapping in the table below:
|Variable Name||Data Layer Variable Name|
|RollWorks Company Domain||rwCompanyDomain|
|RollWorks Company Name||rwCompanyName|
|RollWorks Company Industry||rwCompanyIndustry|
|RollWorks Company Revenue||rwCompanyRevenue|
|RollWorks Company Size||rwCompanySize|
Step 4: Create a RollWorks Personalization Trigger
This trigger will notify GTM that any custom dimensions containing firmographic data from RollWorks are available.
- In the GTM Console click Triggers > New and select the following:
- Label name = RollWorks Personalization Trigger
- Under Trigger Configuration complete the following:
- Trigger Type = Custom Event
- Event name = rw_personalization_data
- This trigger fires on = All Custom Events
- Click Save.
Step 5: Create a RollWorks Personalization GA4 Event Tag
This tag will enable GTM to send the 5 custom dimensions containing firmographic data from RollWorks to Google Analytics 4 (GA4).
- In the GTM Console click Tags>New to set up a new tag.
- Label the tag RollWorks Personalization GA4 Event.
- Click the Tag Configuration card and choose the Google Analytics: GA4 Event tag type
- Complete the following:
- Configuration Tag = None - Manually Set ID
- Measurement ID = Follow the instructions in this Google article to find your Measurement ID.
- Event Name = rw_personalization
- Within the Tag Configuration, expand the Event Parameters section
- Click Add Row and complete the following:
- Parameter name = rw_company_domain
- Value = Choose the custom GTM variable for RollWorks Company Domain created in Step 3: Create Custom Variables in GTM.
- Repeat adding event parameter rows for the remaining 4 variables using the reference table below:
|rw_company_domain||RollWorks Company Domain|
|rw_company_name||RollWorks Company Name|
|rw_company_industry||RollWorks Company Industry|
|rw_company_revenue||RollWorks Company Revenue|
|rw_company_size||RollWorks Company Size|
- Click the Triggering card and choose the RollWorks Personalization Trigger created in Step 4: Create a RollWorks Personalization Trigger.
- Click Save.
- Publish your container. Refer to this GTM’s help article for more info on publishing containers.