GA4 is replacing Universal Analytics
Before you start
Make sure to complete the installation of the NextRoll Pixel before you start.
The following are the steps to complete this integration to send data directly to Universal Analytics:
- Configure the Site Traffic Revealer in RollWorks. Jump to this section.
- Create Custom Dimensions in Universal Analytics. Jump to this section.
- Find your UA Tracking ID. Jump to this section.
- Enter your UA Tracking ID in RollWorks. Jump to this section.
Step 1: Select how to send data to Google Analytics
- Open this page or navigate to Settings > Site Traffic Revealer.
- Toggle on to enable.
- Select Send directly to Google Analytics.
- Select Universal Analytics
RollWorks recommends integrating the RollWorks Site Traffic Revealer with GA4 via GTM. UA will be deprecated soon. Before you proceed speak to your Web Analytics team to advise if this method is the best for your company.
Step 2: Create Custom dimensions in UA
Custom Dimensions are like default dimensions in your Universal Analytics account, except you create them yourself. You can use them to collect and analyze data that Analytics doesn't automatically track. To learn more about Customer Dimensions in UA go to their Help Center guide.
In this step, we will walk you through creating the following 5 custom dimensions:
- RollWorks Company Domain
- RollWorks Company Name
- RollWorks Company Industry
- RollWorks Company Revenue
- RollWorks Company Size
To start, create the first custom dimension called RollWorks Company Domain:
- Sign in to your Universal Analytics account.
- Click Admin on the left.
- In the Property column, click Custom Definitions > Custom Dimensions.
- Click New Custom Dimension and complete the following:
- Add a Name = RollWorks Company Domain
- Select Scope = Session
- Check the Active box to start collecting data
- Click Create and you will complete the creation of the first custom dimension called RollWorks Company Domain
Repeat the same process outlined above for the remaining using the reference table below:
|Custom Dimension Name
|RollWorks Company Domain
|RollWorks Company Name
|RollWorks Company Industry
|RollWorks Company Revenue
|RollWorks Company Size
We recommend using the indexes as indicated in the table above when possible. If you need to customize the indexes differently, please take note for the remainder of the setup.
Step 3: Find your UA Tracking ID
Follow the instructions in this Help Center article to find the UA Tracking Id for the specific Universal Analytics Account and Property you want to send data.
Step 4: Enter the UA Tracking ID in RollWorks
Refer to the Custom Dimension Indexes created above and enter them in RollWorks.
Step 5: Map the company dimensions to the index
You are done! Click Save to ensure your configuration is saved.
Does RollWorks integrate with Google Analytics 4 (GA4)?
Yes. We strongly suggest sending RollWorks Data to GA4 with GTM instead of UA. It allows more flexibility in customization, i.e.: if you want to route the data to other places in the future.
Does the integration work with the free version of Google Analytics?
Yes, the free version of UA provides up to 20 custom dimensions. You'll just need 5 free custom dimensions (GA4 provides 50 event-scoped dimensions) available for use.
Does the solution require any additional code snippets or does it use the RollWorks Pixel?
The solution uses the RollWorks pixel. After you enable the Site Traffic Revealer we will automatically push a small update to your pixel behind the scenes to make some of the additional variables available, but that will not require any work on your side.
What are some potential reasons why no data would be returned for a website visitor?
- We may not be able to match the visitor cookie in our database
- The visitor cookies are not enabled
- You may not have opted into tracking on the website, for example depending on the GDPR banner you are using to collect visitor data.
- The visitor ad blocker may be enabled.