Before you start:
- Technically, RollWorks can only import Static Lists from Marketo. However, if you want to import Smart Lists from Marketo, this guide will provide additional steps you can take to convert your Marketo Smart Lists into Static Lists that can be imported to RollWorks: to accomplish this you run a batch Smart Campaign in Marketo that will sync your Smart List into a Static List on a regular cadence.
- The Marketo Integration data sync is scheduled daily at 12:00am UTC.
We recommend a minimum of 1000 unique email addresses
We strongly suggest that your contact lists synced from Marketo have at least 1,000 unique email addresses for optimal performance. Even though you may be able to run a contact targeting campaign with 100 unique emails that match a cookie this audience is too small to yield optimal reach and ad performance. 🔎 Learn more about how Contact Lists work here.
Step 1. Configure your 'Smart List', 'Static List', and 'batch Smart Campaign' in Marketo
- Log in to Marketo
- Find the 'Smart List' that you want to import to RollWorks or Create a new 'Smart List'
- Create a new 'Static List'
- Create a new 'Smart Campaign' to sync your 'Smart List' with your 'Static List'
Create Advanced Smart List Logic as follows (1 and 2) or (3 and 4)
- Member of Smart List -> Lead: [in] [Static List]
- Member of List (Static) -> Lead: [not in] [Smart List]
- Member of List (Static) -> Lead: [in] [Smart List]
- Member of Smart List -> Lead: [not in] [Static List]
Add three flow steps to your Smart Campaign:
- Add to List: Add contacts to the Static List if they are in the Smart List
- Wait: Add a 3-minute wait as a buffer
- Remove from List: Remove contacts from the Static List if they are not on the Smart List
- Schedule the batch Smart Campaign to run daily at 11:00 pm UTC (one hour before the Marketo data syncs to RollWorks at 12:00 am UTC).
Step 2. Import your Marketo Static List to RollWorks
- Log in to RollWorks and navigate to 'Integrations'> 'Marketo'
- Click 'Import Lists'
- Select the Marketo Static lists you wish to import to RollWorks and click Done.
Find Marketo Smart Lists in RollWorks
Log in to RollWorks and go to Audiences > Contact Lists.
Your imported HubSpot Contact Lists will be listed under the tab Imported Lists and will automatically be named ending with '-marketo' so that you can easily identify them by their name.
You can use the filter option Source to find only imported lists from Marketo.
Your imported contact lists in RollWorks will be listed under Imported Lists and will automatically be named ending with 'Marketo' so that you can easily identify them.
The data sync between RollWorks and Marketo is scheduled daily at 9:00 am UTC, any new lists created in Marketo will appear as available to be imported to RollWorks after this daily sync.
After importing a list, RollWorks will complete the cookie-matching process, which can take up to 72 hours. You cannot use imported Contact Lists in your Ad Campaigns until this cookie-matching process is complete.
To confirm if a Contact List is ready to be used in Ad Campaigns log in to RollWorks, navigate to Audiences > Contact Lists, and search your contact list name under Imported Audiences.
|Synced Audience Status||Description|
|Waiting for matches||You have successfully imported this list and Rollworks is matching your contact email addresses to use browser cookies. This process can take up to 72 hours.|
|Ready to use||The cookie-matching process has been completed and your Contact List is ready to be used in an Ad Campaign.|
|Audience too Small||The imported contact list has less than 100 email addresses and cannot be used in RollWorks Ad Campaigns|
|Audience no longer Syncing||RollWorks is unable to update your imported contact list from Marketo, either because this list has been deleted from Marketo or has changed.|
Marketo Contact Lists FAQ
What is the minimum amount of emails required to run a Marketo-based contact targeting campaign?
We strongly suggest that your contact lists synced from Marketo have at least 1,000 unique email addresses for optimal performance. Even though you may be able to run a contact-targeting campaign with 100 unique emails that match a cookie this audience is too small to yield optimal
reach and ad performance.
Why is the contact list size in RollWorks different than the list size in Marketo?
The contact list size that surfaces in RollWorks has passed an email validation process. It’s possible that your Marketo Contact List has some invalid emails, for example, an email format not recognized, in that event RollWorks will not ingest the contact and the resulting imported contact list size in RollWorks will be smaller than the source contact list in Marketo.