CRM data onboarding allow you to leverage email lists in your campaigns. If you conduct part of your business off your website, want to re-engage old customers, have a seasonal offering, or need to build on your existing campaign audience, CRM audiences can be an effective tool. There are a few ways you can do this, either by uploading a static list of emails you have downloaded, or by connecting a dynamic CRM list from either Salesforce, Hubspot, or Marketo. See below for more details on these different audiences and how to handle them
Create a Static CRM Audience (.CSV Email List)
Watch this short video on how to get started or review the steps below:
- Navigate to your Audience tab
- Click New Audience
- Select CRM for Audience Type
- Upload your .CSV file and complete the remainder of the form
Format Your Email List
Your CRM file needs to be formatted correctly for your list to match correctly.
- File must be formatted as .CSV
- List must contain at least 100 unique user emails
- All emails must be listed in a single column. Do not list any information other than the emails you would like to match
- Remove any empty rows
- Maximum file size: 10MB
Here are some tips for preparing your lists for CRM data onboarding:
- Use personal emails where possible. Work emails have a lower match rate.
- Make sure your email database is up to date; add an email validation step during signup workflows to help make sure visitors provide active emails.
- Consider combining a CRM audience with other audience types to boost performance. Remember, the larger the audience your campaign has, the more optimization we can perform!
- Static CRM audiences can't be edited after they're created. Total visitors reflects the number of emails in your list.
- The initial cookie matching process can take up to a 72 hours. Please take this into consideration when planning your CRM campaign.
- Note that it is normal and expected to match multiple cookies to each email. For example, it would be normal to upload a list of 1,000 emails and match a cookie audience of substantially more than that. While the exact amount of cookies matched to an email varies greatly based on how many devices, browsers, and locations a user is browsing with, anything from 3 to 10 cookies per user as an average is normal, and higher than that is also possible.
- If you are using a static CRM audience, uploading the same list at a later time will result in a different number of matched cookies, and it is highly recommended to update a static CRM list at least once every 120 days or so to ensure that you are matching the most up to date cookies possible to your target emails.
Connecting a CRM Audience via Salesforce
Connecting a CRM Audience via Marketo
Connecting a CRM Audience via HubSpot
How to Exclude a CRM Audience
Excluding an audience from a campaign means that we won't show ads to people in that audience. To exclude a CRM audience:
- Go to your Audience tab.
- Click on the CRM audience that you want to exclude. You can do this with both static and dynamically synced audiences.
- Under Campaigns with Audience, switch the Target toggle from Target to Exclude.